Cosopt Eye Drops
It is used to reduce intraocular pressure in patients with glaucoma.
What is the composition of Cosopt Eye Drops?
Dorzolamide and Timolol maleate. Each mL of Cosopt solution contains 20 mg dorzolamide and 5.0 mg Timolol.
Sodium citrate, Sodium hydroxide, water for injection, hydroxyethyl cellulose and mannitol.
Benzalkonium chloride in a concentration of about 0.0075%.
How does it work?
It is drug that inhibits an enzyme inside the eye responsible for aqueous secretion. This enzyme is called Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor. This enzyme plays a major rule in secretion of aqueous humor.
This drug is belonging to Beta Receptor blockers. It acts by two ways,
first by reducing the secretion of Aqueous Humor and also by increasing the drainage of Aqueous Humor outside the eye.
Dorzolamide and Timolol have synergistic effects to reduce intraocular pressure further than the effect of each eye drops alone.
What are the indications for using Cosopt Eye Drops?
Cosopt is used to:
1. Reduce intraocular pressure in patients with Open angle glaucoma and Ocular Hypertension.
2. It can be used in other types of glaucoma such as Pseudoexfoliation glaucoma, Pigmentary glaucoma, aphakic glaucoma, uveitic glaucoma and Phacomorphic glaucoma. It should be used in these types of glaucoma with caution.
What are the contraindications of Cosopt Eye Drops ?
1. Patients who are asthmatic or have a well known history of being asthmatic and difficulties in breathing.
2. Patients suffering from chronic obstructive lung disease.
3. Patients suffering from hypotension.
4. Cases with Sinus bradycardia or low heart rates.
5. Cases with heart failure.
6. Cases with cardiac block.
7. Patients who are allergic to COSOPT or any of its ingredients.
What are the side effects of Cosopt Eye Drops ?
The most frequent side effects are:
1. Bitter or abnormal taste.
2. Burning sensation in the eye.
3. Foreign body sensation in the eye.
4. Superficial punctuate epithelial keratopathy. It is characterized by small superficial corneal abrasions. They occur due to toxicity from preservatives.
5. Timolol component can cause dry eyes because it also works on receptors that help to secret tears.
6. Itchy eyes.
7. Pink eye or Conjunctival hyperemia.
What about Pregnant and lactating females?
There are no well documented studies confirming that Cosopt can be safely used in pregnant females, on the other hand one of the ingredients of Cosopt is secreted in the human breast milk, so it is either to stop nursing or stop the drug according to the ocular condition of the mother.
Can Cosopt be used in children?
Cosopt can be safely used in children above the age of 2 years, while the safety in children below the age of 2 years is unknown.
How should I use Cosopt?
You should put one drop twice per day in the affected eye. Never use this eye drops without a prescription from your eye doctor.
What is the size of the bottle?
The bottle contains 10 mL or 18 mL of Cosopt solution.