Changes in lifestyle for Glaucoma Management
Lifestyle choices play important role in Glaucoma management
Glaucoma is a condition of the eye resulting from an increased pressure within the eye. This increased pressure is a result of the blockage in the outflow of the fluid of the eye, which thus leads to an increased pressure within the eye.
Glaucoma can be of two main types; open angle and closed angle glaucoma. The open angle glaucoma is a slowly progressing disease, while the closed angle glaucoma can be slow or rapid in progress, but unlike the open angle glaucoma, is a painful condition.
According to a recently published report on February 1st, 2012, it has been found that the healthy lifestyle choices play an important role in glaucoma treatment.
There are many recommendations regarding the adaptation of healthy lifestyle for glaucoma patients; some of these include:
1. Limit cigarette use as it can help to improve the healthy blood supply to the eyes.
2. Use of diet containing high antioxidants.
3. Low dietary fat.
4. Avoid wearing tight neckties.
5. Avoid playing wind instruments which give high resistance.
6. Limit the use of caffeine.
7. Avoid head lowering positions, especially in head down yoga exercises.
8. Avoid stressful conditions.
9. Try performing aerobic exercises.
10. Take magnesium rich diet.
11. Omega-3 fatty acids are advisable.
12. Use dark chocolate.
The report also suggests that it is quite essential for glaucoma patients to have a healthy cardiovascular system (the system of heart and blood vessels). This is due to a reason that an increased blood supply to the eyes improves the oxygen supply to ocular tissues (tissues of the eye) and thereby improving the symptoms of the disease.
Studies have revealed better results in glaucoma patients who have a better cardiac activity (functioning of the heart) as compared to those who are suffering with any underlying cardiovascular illness.