How can I manage painful blind eye



Submitted by Damsel on Sat, 08/10/2019 - 12:56
Did you perform any surgery for the eyes?

I did cataract surgery for the right eye

Do you suffer from pre-existing illnesses in the eye?

I had a traumatic cataract on the right eye that led to a secondary glaucoma and now a painful blind right eye.

Do you suffer from any diseases in the body?
Do you use any eye drops?

Currently am on Duosopt Eye Drops

Do you wear Contact lenses or Eyeglasses?

I wear glasses for the sake of the left eye 





What medication can I take to manage the intraocular pressure in the right blind eye, and to stop the swelling of that side of my face. Although it was trauma that led to the glaucoma.

I am so worried  for the left eye because i am feeling pains sometimes and I see halos on light using the left eye.  

Please I need your advice.



Thanks for your Question

You should be on full anti glaucoma eye drops ( such as xalatan, alphagan and Duosopt) to reduce eye pain. Patients who have painful blind eye and on full anti glaucoma eye drops have two options:

1- Retrobulbar injection of Alcohol or chlorpromazine. The injection of one of them behind the eye help to decrease intraocular pressure and reduce ocular pain in the majority of patients.

2- Cryotherapy for the eye to reduce intraocular pressure but this option has some complications.

3- Evisceration or enucleation which is the removal of the eye and implant cosmetic artificial eyes.

You should discuss these options with your eye doctor