Help with dripping eyes



Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 07/05/2015 - 06:54
United States
Did you perform any surgery for the eyes?

Radial keratomy (both eyes)
Lasik Eye Surgery

Do you suffer from pre-existing illnesses in the eye?
Do you suffer from any diseases in the body?
Do you use any eye drops?


Alaway eye drops



Pred Forte eye drops

Do you use any eye drops?





I am 61. No eye diseases. Radial keratomy (both eyes) 20 years ago.Lasik left eye only 10 years ago.

(Alaway eye drops in past), (Alrex only when needed), (Restasis 2 x day for a year now for Dry Eyes), Pred forte given to me by my optometrist in June to stop dripping eyes. Glasses and contacts. Was on Pred Forte for a month. It helped but when I went back to my routine of Restasis and Alrex it started again.

Chief complain is constant tearing and dripping.Drips more from left eye. Wearing glasses or contacts makes no difference. They still tear the same. Four months now.

Pred Forte helped some but when I stopped and started back with the Alrex and Restasis which I have been on for a year now they started dripping again. How long should I use the Pred Forte? I stopped with the alrex and restasis and went back to the Pred Forte 2 x a day.

Pred Forte gives me a headache for a short time after using it. Still Dripping constantly every 10 mimutes or so


Thanks for your question



I don't recommend to use pred forte eye drops for along time because it has many ocular complications such as high intraocular pressure and cataract formation.

LASIK can cause dry eye which is manifestated as foreign body sensation and excessive reflex tearing with photophobia. eye drops with preservatives can also increase the severity of dry eyes.

Another common cause of excessive tearing is sinusitis and nose problems which obstruct the nasolacrimal duct.this duct drain tears outside the eye to the nose.

I would recommend you to stop all eye drops and visit your eye doctor to rule out dry eye and prescribe non preservative artificial tears and also to measure the intraocular pressure.

In case your ocular examination is normal he can refer you to E.N.T specialist for nasolacrimal duct examination.